Saturday 19 September 2015

Review: Red Queen, By: Victoria Aveyard


I literally just finished this book ten minutes ago, and I just need to get my feelings out about it...


Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard, was an amazing read. It did take me a while toget through though. It's not that it's a super long book, it's actually pretty short with just under 400 pages, it's that I've been in a bit of a reading slump lately.

It's the 25th of June and this is the first book that I have been able to finish so far this month. Although I did really enjoy it, it probably wasn't the best book to get me back into reading again. I probably should have gone with a cute little contemporary book, as they're light and fun to read, and they just really help me to get into the reading mood. Red Queen however, was not a very light book at all. It had a lot of action and other interesting things going on throughout it. These did keep me captivated, but it just wasn't enough. 

If any of you have ever been in a reading slump just let me know, as I'd like to know your best ways of getting over them! I do have a two week break off of school starting this weekend, so I am hoping to get a lot of reading done during that, so that I can make up for the one book that I read this month. However, let's get back to my thoughts on Red Queen.




For all of you that do not know, Red Queen follows a girl named Mare who lives in a world where there are two different types of blood groups. There are the Silvers, who sort of rule the world, and are in charge. The Silvers also all have powers. Then, there are the Reds, which is what Mare is, and they are on the bottom of the food chain. They are the ones that are sent off to war, they don't have any powers, and they are the poor ones. 

Mare is sort of looked down upon in her family, and so she is always trying to get her parents to acknowledge her, rather than always looking at her younger sister Gisa, who is pretty much the pride and joy of the family. Mare ends up being called upon to go and serve at the castle where the royal family lives, to serve the Silvers. However, when she gets there, she finds out something pretty special about herself. Mare has a power of her own, even though she is still a Red. This has never happened before, and everyone is astonished by it. So, the book is pretty much about Mare's struggle through trying to hide the fact that she is a Red with a power, as the king and queen want to keep it a secret.


I really enjoyed this book. Victoria Aveyard has a beautiful way with words, and is able to captivate the reader in a way that will make it so you won't want to put the book down. I loved that in this book romance wasn't the main aspect to it. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love romance, and I love seeing two characters fall in love throughout a story. However, it was sort of a nice change having there not be so much of it. There were definitely aspects of romance throughout the book, but it was not the main focus. 

There was a lot of intense action scenes throughout the book that kept you on the edge of the seat wanting to know what happens next. I feel like with a lot of books that I read, most of the chapters end with the scene finished, so it makes you feel like you don't have to continue reading on. However, with Red Queen, there were cliffhangers at the end of most if not all of the chapters. which definitely made me need to continue on reading. 

Overall, I really did enjoy this book, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes magical elements, action, and lots of suspense to their books.



The author of Red Queen, Victoria Aveyard spends most of her time in either Massachusetts or Los Angeles. She has a degree in Screenwriting, and is currently revising the second book in the Red Queen series.







No comments:

Post a Comment