Saturday 19 September 2015

Review: City of Heavenly Fire, By: Cassandra Clare

This was definitely a good book to end the series on..
City of Heavenly Fire was such a good book. I thoroughly enjoyed every single aspect of this book, and there wasn't a point where I felt that I had to stop reading it, because it was slow, or the plot wasn't interesting enough for me. I flew through this book. I went on a vacation on a house boat recently, and this is when I read the book. I actually ended up not doing much else, because I couldn't put the book down. I always had to know what was going to happen next, as there was no way that you would be able to predict it. 

I have obviously read the previous books in this series, before reading City of Heavenly Fire. A lot of times for me, there will be long series of books, and I won't be able to finish the whole series, because it will become boring. I'll start feeling like the story line is repeating itself, and there's nothing new or interesting coming into the plot. However, this wasn't how City of Heavenly Fire was at all. Even into the last book, I didn't feel like the plot was repeating itself, it was all new and interesting information, that we hadn't heard before.

This book was actually written just a bit differently than the other books. It sort of reminded me of the way that Allegiant was written. This book went back and forth between a few peoples point of views. I felt like this made the book a lot more interesting. A lot of times when books are written in multiple points of views, there'll be times when you don't really care about one of the peoples stories, you just want to get back to the one that you find the most interesting. I really didn't feel this way about City of Heavenly Fire. While reading this book, I didn't have a favourite storyline, I thought that they were all equally interesting. 

In City of Heavenly Fire, there were some really intense fighting scenes, and also some pretty intense emotional scenes. You actually get to see the characters go down into the demon world, and you get to see what that's like. You also get to really see all of the different relationships throughout the book bloom, and evolve. You get to see another side of Magnus, and where he comes from. There is a huge plot twist near the end of the book, that will keep you turning the pages to find out what the story is going to turn out like.

City of Heavenly fire is the longest book in the Mortal Instruments series, coming in at just over 700 pages. However, it really doesn't seem like that long of a book when you get into it. This is because, it's such a page-turner, and you won't want to put it down once you pick it up.

Obviously I would recommend that you read the first five books in the series, before jumping into the finale. The other books in the Mortal Instruments series include; City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, and City of Lost Souls. However, I would definitely recommend City of Heavenly Fire to anyone who enjoys a book with some romance, war, and lots of suspense.

Judith Rumelt, most commonly known as Cassandra Clare, is the author of City of Heavenly Fire, along with the rest of The Mortal Istruments series. Some of her other more popular books include; The Infernal Devices, and The Dark Artifices series. She has also contributed to writing some other smaller books. Only one of her books; City of Bones, has been made into a movie, and nobody is quite sure if the rest of the series will be following in the film industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment