Saturday 19 September 2015

Reading Slumps


Alright, so if any of you read my last review of Red Queen, you would know that over the last month or so I've been in a pretty severe reading slump. By that, I mean that I've only read one book in the month of June. Yeah, I said that, one book! The book that I ended up reading as well, I had to force myself to read, which didn't make it a very fun experience. 

I'm starting to get out of it now, so I thought that through experience, I could give you all three tips that will hopefully enable you to get out of being in the dreaded reading slump.




Choose a book that you've read before and that you know that you will love. For me, that would be something like Harry Potter, Divergent, or The Mortal Instruments. I know that I will never get bored of them, so most of the time when I'm in a reading slump, I'll reach for one of these. Or, it doesn't even have to be a re-read. Just go with a book that you know you will love. For me this would be pretty much any contemporary. If there is a contemporary book that I know I should love, I'll pick it up and I'll try it. Just try to find a book that you have read before, and you know will catch your attention, or a book that you're pretty sure will do a good job of catching your attention, and try it. 





Tip number two is; if a re-read isn't doing it for you, just go through your shelf and keep picking up books until you find something that is good, and that catches your attention. Don't get discouraged. There is a very good chance that at one point or another, you will get to a book that you want to continue reading. My advice for this, would be to go through your shelves and pick out ten or fifteen books that look like they could be interesting, and yes they could be re-reads. Once you have your books laid out in front of you, take the book off the top of the pile and read the first chapter. If it doesn't interest you, then move onto the next book. Chances are, you will find a book that you want to continue reading after the first chapter at some point within the pile of books.




My last piece of advice, is to not force yourself to read. I know this sort of contradicts everything that I have said above. However, if you're really not feeling it, and no book is catching your eye. Just take a break from reading. It's not going to do you any good at all to force yourself into reading a book that you really don't want to read. So, go and binge-watch that tv show you've been dying to see on Netflix, or hang out with some friends. Sometimes it's good to take a break from reading, give your eyes a little bit of a break. Chances are, that by the time you're done watching that tv series, or that you've taken a small break, you'll be happy and excited to jump right back into reading!




Alrighty, so those are my tips on getting over reading slumps, and I really hope that they are of some use to you guys! If you have any other tips or tricks of how you are able to get over reading slumps, then you can leave them as a comment, as I would love to know your thoughts and opinion on this as well!

Thank you all for reading, and I will talk to you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment